“Do better, once you know better” – Maya Angelou – because it’s all about making small changes once you’ve learned something new and giving yourself the chance to upgrade your routine, not only for your health, but for the health of the planet as well.
Join us for a Sustainable, Healthy & Ethical conversation around all things coffee – with Heather Young & Jennifer Klotz of shechangeseverything.com
When we polled you on instagram about Coffee, these were the results:
- Do you drink coffee everyday?
- 69% of you said YES – 31% said NO
- Do you ever choose to drink decaf instead?
- 33% of you said SOMETIMES – 67% of you said NEVER
- Do you add any sort of creamer or drink it black?
- 38% of you drink it BLACK, 62% of you add some sort of CREAMER
- Have you ever heard of the Swiss Water Process (diving into this in episode 028)
- 31% of you said YES – 69% of you said NO (we can’t wait to tell you about it!)
- Do you drink a full glass of water before coffee?
- 58% of you said “Most of the Time” – 42% of you said “Sometimes/Never”
That being said … here’s what you’ll discover in this episode:
– The true health benefits of coffee
– The Environmental & Humanitarian impacts our purchases create
– Conventional vs. Organic vs. Fair Trade certifications and what they mean
– What’s in that paper cup, the plastic lid, & the coffee filter you’re using.
– How your daily routine is impacting your health long-term
… & what you can do about it.
GET THE SHE Changes Everything Guide to a Safer Cup of Coffee.
It’s full of simple swaps to make a healthier cup of coffee that is good for you, people, and the planet!
A few Resources to expand your awareness of ingredients hiding in your favorite coffee drinks:
- A standard Starbucks Mocha
- Milk, Brewed Espresso, Mocha Sauce [Water, Sugar, Cocoa Processed With Alkali, Natural Flavor], Whipped Cream [Cream (Cream, Mono And Diglycerides, Carageenan), Vanilla Syrup (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid)].
- A standard Starbucks Frappuccino
- Ice, Milk, Coffee Frappuccino Syrup [Sugar, Water, Salt, Natural And Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid], Coffee, Whipped Cream [Cream (Cream, Mono And Diglycerides, Carageenan), Vanilla Syrup (Sugar, Water, Natural Flavors, Potassium Sorbate, Citric Acid)], Caramel Syrup [Sugar, Water, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate], Caramel Drizzle [Sugar, Corn Syrup, Butter (Cream [Milk], Salt), Water, Heavy Cream, Nonfat Dry Milk, Natural Flavors, Salt, Mono & Diglycerides, Soy Lecithin, Sulfites].
- DISCOVER MORE: Here’s the Starbucks database of ingredients in their drinks
We also talk about considering removing coffee from your daily routine :
This works best if you do so for 21 days and reintroduce it with the goal of paying close attention to how it might actually be making you feel. It’s much easier to notice its effects once it has been removed from your system for at least 21 days.
Here’s a list of things you might notice if you’re truly sensitive to Coffee. Or maybe it’s just the amount of caffeine or *type of coffee you’re drinking:
- palpitations (fast heart rate)
- mood swings
- energy highs and lows
- sugar cravings
- change in digestion
- change in skin
- *QUALITY MATTERS: conventional, cheap coffee might cause more symptoms than high quality, organic beans
- *Flavored coffees are roasted with synthetic/chemical ingredients that produce those flavors which might also be causing small side effects within your body
SKIP THE LID
There’s a company out there called “High Wave”and they’re making silicone “earth lids” that fit any to-go cup when you’re out and about helping to decrease the amount of plastic thrown into landfills as well as the amount of chemicals you’re exposed to. *BPA and other chemicals leach from plastic lids – even more so when they come in contact with hot liquids. We explain “WHY” this is so important to your health – in this episode.
Get your lid here: https://highwave.com/products/earthlid – we are in no way affiliated or connected with this company, just a cool product we think you should know about!
They reached out to us after the episode & kindly offered a discount!
get 20%off using code: CRITICAL20
The Earthlid® fits on a paper coffee cup to eliminate one plastic lid for every coffee you drink! The ergonomic lid’s strap seals for transport & can even take a knockdown if sealed properly. 25 billion standard polystyrene (plastic) coffee lids landed in oceans & landfills last year in the USA alone.
That statistic isn’t even referring to what we use globally! Let’s make an impact.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST, PLEASE REMEMBER –
THERE’S NEVER A PERFECT ANSWER. We’re all human & we hope you’ll consider this information as empowering insight to help you move forward and create a small ripple effect in your world. Every product you choose to buy and consume has a longterm impact on your health and your planet, over time. Every decision matters.
“We can create change, together. Collectively – We’re more powerful than you might think.”– Jennifer Klotz, RD
Heather Young & Jennifer Klotz are the faces behind SHE Changes Everything – a crazy informative platform full of articles, resources and SHE DAY* events you won’t want to miss.
STILL WONDERING WHAT TYPE OF COFFEE YOU “SHOULD” BE DRINKING?
FUN FACT: They always spotlight a sustainable, fair trade, organic coffee brand at SHE Day events during registration! At SHE Day: LA, they highlighted Groundworks. At SHE Day: Phoenix, they featured coffee from The Organic Bean Cafe, a fair trade coffee shop run by a mother / daughter duo featuring coffee roasted locally by Bernie’s Coffee Roast House. And at the upcoming SHE Day: Chicago, they’ll feature coffee from Intelligensia! Plus, they’ve partnered with their personal favorite, Dean’s Beans, to have non-stop organic, fair trade coffee bar at every SHE Day event.
Thank You for joining us, we’ll see you next Thursday.
Join the Conversation on Instagram @CriticalConversations
This podcast is hosted by Briana Reesing, BSN, RN, CEN – an emergency room nurse passionate about the information and power behind all things preventative health. Join her daily on her instagram platform @beachlifebri or checkout her website for simple recipes and candid insight into what wellness really looks like. beachlifeorganic.com